Sunday, May 13, 2012

FABULOUS NEWS ! WINNER

www.arainbowinthedark.com





     I have always liked getting news. When I was growing up on the farm one of the highlights was seeing the rural mail truck coming down the road, kicking up dust as they came. The dusty trail always seemed to give a sense of urgency...like the mail must get delivered and FAST. So, I would run to the mailbox and see if there was any mail for me. Sometimes, I would be waiting on photos that were processed at Owl's Photo in Weatherford, Oklahoma. My how my heart would race if upon opening the mailbox I would find a large envelope with a picture of an Owl on it. Or maybe there would be a letter from a relative or friend. I often awaited letters from my grandmother that had cancer. Grandma Bartz would travel to either Oregon or San Diego, California to get treatment for her advanced cancer. We would write each other, and I always enjoyed getting her letters.


     My how times have changed. The email sat in my INBOX for a couple days last week before I opened it. But those lovely words, "We have fabulous news for you! Your entry A Rainbow in the Dark has been named WINNER in the national book contest, the 2012 Next Generation Independent Book Award in the African American category." And as a bonus, we received finalist status in Multicultural and Book Cover Design. 


     Dr. Kirkland and I will travel to New York City in early June to receive the award. The event will be held at The Plaza Hotel on June 4 th. This award is yet another confirmation that this story should be told. And, if it is to be told, it will be!  BE PART OF THE TELLING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment