Thursday, January 26, 2012

Listen

I have good news and bad news. If you are not aware there is a "special day" for ALMOST anything in great U.S. of A. For instance, you likely already missed National Give a Hug day, which was on January 21 st. But, take a deep breath; and wipe away the tears of sorrow over all those missed hugs. The entire MONTH of January is National Soup Month-- now there's a month worth enjoying!
And do not loose heart, this month is also National Mentor Month. Who knew? Maybe we should ponder this mentor idea some more. As I have spoken across this state promoting A Rainbow in the Dark, I usually have someone come to me and say they too had a mentor. Most say it was a coach, teacher, Sunday school teacher or some other significant person in their life. I think that is part of the reason A Rainbow touches people so deeply-- the reader injects themselves into the story, feeling the struggle and yet the bright light that leads them on.
So, if you recall a mentor, do something. First of all, we have turned the word mentor into a scary word. Mentor is not adoption. Mentoring is not committing a life long promise. Being a mentor does not have to consume your time or money. The dictionary defines mentor simply as "adviser." Any word that can be defined with one other word can't be that complicated. For National Mentor Month, I would urge us to do two things. First, if you can recall a mentor-- call or write them a note telling them how much you appreciate and still remember them.
Secondly, let’s look for someone in our circle of comings and goings to advise-- let's not even use the "M" word. Make yourself available to give encouragement and advice. Even more importantly, commit to that person that you are a safe confidential person that will listen and walk their path. Sometime listening will be more empowering than giving advice.
One day during an office visit a young counselor was shocked when she heard the young lady say, "You know that thing you said last week changed my life. When you said my problems probably stemmed from the fact I have spent my entire life trying to live up to my big sister's spotless reputation." The young psychologist could hardly contain her laugh. Because the week before it was the patient that realized on her own the root of her struggle and pain was her struggle with her sister. The patient transferred what was said to her trusted advisor who was simply listening.
Can I be a mentor or even an advisor. I'm not sure. I do know I have two ears to listen with, and that might make all the difference. Now, let's go listen and advise; I heard May is National Listening Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment